Tuesday, March 9, 2010

'Beauty' of Transgender Plastic Surgery


I have such mixed feelings about Amanda. As a "transgender person" I support her right to her gender expression, and I think it's cool that she has no fear. But as someone who's interested in a normal life (though I'm not sure what's "normal" in 2008), and who works for GLBT civil rights, I feel squeamish about being in the same identity space. I wonder how most straight people with heteronormative gender expression feel on seeing that picture? Are they, like, a) I celebrate diverse lifestyles, b) this is one of those crazy cool fashionistas who's supposed to look outre, c) this is a sad train wreck and I can't stop looking, d) I'm disgusted by this fetishistic portrayal of femininity, or is it something I haven't even thought of? Of course, your post gives a clue with the adjective "freakish". What do you think most people associate with the picture you posted?

Posted by: Dr. Jillian T. Weiss on August 27, 2008 10:19 AM

No comments:

Post a Comment